Friday, June 7, 2013

EPIC! - Hardly

Ever on the look out for great animated movies to take daughter to, we checked out EPIC last night.

And as I alluded to in the title of the post, it was hardly that.
I am probably being a little rough on it because I was expecting so much, but I think I am being fair.

While at times there were moments of stellar animation, there were also many times when the quality of said animation let it down.

Also true, while there were moments of great character animation; M.K., Mandrake, Mub, Grub and Nim Galuu, along with some of the lesser characters, there were also moments of bad character animation; Nod, Queen Tara, Ronin.

At times the background paintings were awesome. Then at other times they would not be much better than some T.V. fare.

The story was nothing new, almost being a combination of 'The Great Fairy Rescue', 'Fern Gully', 'A Bugs Life' and 'Honey I Shrunk the Kids'.

The slug and the snail had the funniest moments. The main bad guy was very well done, but was nothing new.

The lead character, M.K., jumped to quickly into her new world, without any shock or surprise (maybe kids in this high-tec age don't get shocked and surprised as much,).

'Nim', voiced by Steven Tyler of Aerosmith fame, was my favorite in both animation and voice, but even that character seemed stolen from 'The Wizard of OZ'.

Although I like Josh Hutcherson, the voice of 'Nod', in most things, the animation of his character let down his performance.

M.K's father was also well acted and drawn, but was to much like Rick Moranis' character in 'Honey I Shrunk the Kids' and "Dr Griffiths' in 'The Great Fairy Rescue."

The best animation seemed to be reserved for the lesser characters, some of which were very well done.

I was hoping the animation of the forest atmosphere would be on the lines of 'Avatar', when in fact it didn't even measure up to the 'Tinkerbell' movies.

The battles and conflicts were not epic enough.

Even with a few visual delights, I came out a little disappointed.

Daughter found parts a little scary and dark, but over all she liked it.

So, for these reasons, I can only give it 3 Mub's and Grub's out of 5







No comments:

Post a Comment