Friday, October 27, 2017

Sepia Saturday 391 - Marching to a different. . . . . . piper?

I don't always get to take part in each weeks Sepia Saturday because a; I either don't have something relevant to add or b; I don't get a chance to go through my old pictures to find something.

This week I was ready.

While sorting through moms old pictures over the last few years I have pile, from back in England, that no one knows anything about.

Must must have something to do with something the family must have attend or they knew someone in the photo.

But no one remembers.

This is one such photo.
This photo has been in our collection of photos from England for as long as I can remember, but we don't where it was taken or by whom.

I tried researching the sign in the photo to see if I could pin down the town, but no luck.

I though it may have been Selby because there was a ship yard there, but I am not sure.
My folks were living in Selby in the 50's so it could well be.

So I decide to do some research on pipe bands that had just women.

One inquiry led me to The Dagenham Girl Pipe band and many of their members seem to think it is their group from the early 50's.

The uniforms seem to match.



They have also made some suggestions about the Ships Chandler in the photo.

Isn't the Internet grand?


9 comments:

  1. Nice going! And yes, the internet is a marvel. So much information right at your fingertips for just about anything you want to know! And how nice it has obviously given you an answer of a sort for that particular photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing sleuth stories from Sepia Saturday foks that are successful. I sometimes have a post that harkens back to the past, but doesn't hit the theme, and must appologize for adding it to the meme. So far they haven't kicked me out, and even said it's ok to go a ways off topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you make a notation of that info on the back of the photo so in 50 years someone will know that much :) Good sloothing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are plenty of Ships Inn but less soShips Chandler it seems, accoring to Mr Google.
    An interesting puzzle for you.
    In any case,a fine photo as it is.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done! There weren't many female pipe bands back in the day, and though I don't have any of their photos in my collection, my first guess before I read your full post was the Dagenham Girl Pipe Band because they made a number of souvenir postcards. But most of those are posed, so a photo of the band in action playing and marching is rare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wish I know of the event, and how my family viewed it.

      Delete