Monday, August 3, 2020

Sepia Saturday for this week - Bridges or trollies.

Sepia Saturday for this week.

Here is the prompt.

I took from this photo a memory that I barely have from being a kid.






















When I was growing up, we use to travel to St Louis so my dad could play in Cricket matches in Forest Park in downtown St Louis.

We would often pass these red trollies on our way there or on our way home.

I don't think we ever road one.
They ended in 1966.



But in our hometown of St Charles, just across the river from St Louis a trolley would run from across the river to this building.

It still stands today.
You can see the bridge in the back ground. Made for cars and trollies.
Here is one very large trolley at the St Charles terminal.
Here is the bridge being built. Trollies on one side. Cars on the other. 
I guess you would either have to stay behind the trolley till it got across the bridge or pass it. But the bridge was very narrow.















Here is how the bridge looked while I was growing up. At one time the only way into St Louis from St Charles.
The trolley tracks were gone. Cars going both ways. 
The lady in the lower left corner is leaning up against the old terminal.

There was a walk way on the right side of the bridge which you could get to from down on Main St. where most of the shopping was done till just after this photo was taken.
The bridge lasted till the mid 1980's

10 comments:

  1. How interesting. I lived in St. Louis in the 50s and may have gone across that bridge. Loved seeing these old photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you ever went to downtown St Charles, you probably did.

      Delete
  2. I wish we had some trolleys today so I wouldn't have to drive in the city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. We have the Metro Link, but it doesn't stop at enough places.

      Delete
  3. Evocative photos of the lifespan of this landmark bridge and the vehicles that crossed it. Love the last photo ushering the bridge into a relatively modern era.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny what memories might be triggered by a photo. I think it's good to bring those out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos cataloging a time gone by. Bridges are things that stick in your minds eye - even after they're gone. Growing up in the east Bay Area in Calif., I could see three bridges across San Francisco Bay from my bedroom window: the Oakland-San Francisco Bay Bridge, the Golden Gate Bridge, and the Richmond-San Raphael Bridge. I left the area in 1968, but I still love to see pictures of those 3 bridges! Also the Carquinez bridge farther up the bay because we used to drive over it several times a year. :)

    ReplyDelete