Friday, August 14, 2020

Sepia Saturday for this week. Shipping out.

 Sepia Sat. 


I have always had a love of the big old cruise ships, having come to America on one in 1956,

So this weeks prompt was perfect, but not for me. But for my extended family.


My family came over on the Queen Elizabeth.

This prompt is for the Mauretania.
Which was with the same line as both Queens.

Sort of being the family archivist and historian, which I love, I have tried to gather as many of the old family photos from as many family members as I can.

This one came from the aunt that was responsible for us coming to America in the first place.

But since my aunt had died by the time I got it and my cousins weren't sure what it meant I had to start digging.






This below boarding list is from 1952 going from New York to Southhampton. My aunt is not listed, but my uncle and two sons are, about half way down, Moeller. I don't know if they were coming over to visit after my aunt had already headed over earlier or she was coming later. My cousins did not remember this.

So after a little research I was able to put a reason to their photos.


8 comments:

  1. I was left hanging...you did research and that led to a reason for their photos, but you didn't say what it was...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That they had made a trip on the very same boat.

      Delete
  2. And I forgot to click the "notify me" button so you could send me an answer to my quandry. Now I'm clicking it. In case you want to let me know the result of your research. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that the reason for the picture of the boat in our prompt was that my relatives had travelled on it, which none of them had remembered.

      Delete
  3. Very interesting that your uncle came with two very young sons in tow - a three year old, and especially, a one year old! Wow. Your aunt must have been a very trusting soul to let them go without her - whether she went on ahead, or came later (and hopefully not too much later if that was the case!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be interesting to read of whst happened to your uncle and two young sons and your aunt, once they reached the USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my uncle had been an American serviceman during the war and took his war bride to America. And we followed a few years later.

      Delete
  5. Good job finding a family photo of a ship to go with this challenge. I had to take a different angle.

    ReplyDelete