Saturday, January 31, 2015

Ever elusive Leslie - It has arrived.

If you have followed this blog at all you will remember that for the last year or so I have been trying to find information on one of my mom's brothers, Leslie. he was about nine years older than my mom, so had very little to do with her as she grew up.
Plus this little thing called World War Two fell in there and separated people even further.

I have his birth and death dates. We know he was married, although at the moment, other than one picture, we know few details of that marriage; how long it lasted, who she was or anything else.

While I was out with knee surgery I got all my ducks in a row and filled out all the paper work to acquire his military records.
I wasn't even sure I would find much. Mom had some memories of his involvement in that great campaign, but nothing written down.

I sent all the forms, filled out, back to the home country and was very pleasantly surprised finding a very helpful individual who walked my request through all the appropriate steps. Thanks Gerry.
Actually before the money was received Gerry verified that some information actually existed on Leslie (and on my other Uncle Gordon). Then it just became a matter of time before all the wheels to roll and my requests to  be sent back.


They arrived yesterday.

I have had them for 18 hours, and am a little nervous opening them.
Is this going to be one of those cases where the journey was more than the destination? Was the anticipation of the hunt the greater reward?
Did the movie not turn out as good as the book?

I don't know what I expect to find.
Conformation of mothers memories. Validation for the few things she could tell us over the nears.

Had he indeed served in North Africa and had he indeed been in the Chindits.

We will see.
Today is Saturday, and I have no excuse in putting it off any longer.

I will let you know what I find.

No comments:

Post a Comment