Saturday, July 25, 2015

My Contribution to Sepia Sat. #289 - Beaches, not the film

Sepia Sat. Blog

One of moms favorite remembrances is going to the beach when she still lived in England.
As a child the trip to the beach would have probably been only once a year when her dads workmen group would hire a bus for the day and take families to the beach for a holiday. That would have been from the Yorkshire area. One of her favorites was Filey.
This first picture is my mom with the swim cap on with nieces and a nephew in the water.

 I don't know how people actually got in the water in the North Sea.
It seems many times it was just to go to the beach for the day, and maybe walk in the surf.
Maybe the younger ones got in more.
We were there in 2010 and the water had not warmed up much.
This photo is of my mom in the back with a sister pretending they are rowing a sand boat.
Nothing over dressed for the day about these two.
This is one of my favorites.

This is my dad, never a large man, holding my mom on his shoulders.
This would have probably been the late 40's or early 50's.

My brother at this same age could have walked right into the picture they looked so much a like.

10 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, this was so enjoyable. I plan on posting to Sepia Saturday too, later. I sure miss seeing all of our sepia friends every week, but this summer has been so hectic and our road crews/weather related stuff has been cutting off my land line, and internet service far too much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well welcome back! Will look for your post later in the day.

      Delete
  2. What lovely family memories. I especially like the happy photograph of your Mum and Dad - definitely one to cherish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A delightful set of photos. It's clear to see the sheer enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. They had little, but made the most of it.

      Delete
  5. Doesn't everyone wear pearls to the beach? I have photos of my mom at picnics in sundresses with pearls on. It was the fashion and I'm glad it's not the fashion today.

    These shots are great fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it was the swimming as much as getting away for the day.

      Delete