Monday, April 16, 2018

When the end draws near - A love story.

We met almost 37 years ago.

We were introduced by an old girl friend.

We have been in contact almost everyday since then.
Sometimes coming together several times a day.

While you are still working, as of yesterday, I know your days are numbered. 
Just a couple of years ago we lost your sister.

I will miss you.

Well, if you can fall in love with an appliance, I did.
When I came back from visiting relatives in England in 1980 I raved about an electric tea kettle my family had in Harrogate, Yorkshire.
My then girl friend took it upon herself to find me an electric tea kettle from England (she's also the one that got me my Scotty dog).  You couldn't just order one from England because an English pluggy thingy does not work in a US pluggy thingy.

Her dad at the time worked for J.C. Penny's and I believe that is how she located one. They weren't cheap, probably at the time around eighty bucks. Once I found them available we ordered one for my mom, we (I) called the two kettles sisters;)
While the girl friend (who is still a friend) did not end up being true love, her gift to me was. A relationship that has lasted all this time.
The one from her to me died about two years ago, after being used 6-10 times a day since I got it.
The electric parts still worked. The welds on the neck started failing. I tried to come up with all sorts of ideas to keep using it for something else, but nothing seemed suitable.

Moms started leaking around the neck also a couple of years ago, so we got her a new tea kettle.

I still use hers out at the cabin and am just careful when I pour from it.

Here it is yesterday after being used several times.

This is a relationship I will miss when the time comes.

No, I never did name it.

No comments:

Post a Comment