Wednesday, February 12, 2020

My Sepia Saturday for this week.

This weeks prompt suggests a crowded dining hall to me, so that is what I am going with. . .
and also a mystery.



Over the last several weeks I have been scanning old family photos. Most I can name, some I need help with.
Like all old photos that were taken many years ago, by people known or unknown who now may have passed, some will go untitled for ever.

However, last week is was lucky with the picture to the left.
In with some of my aunts photos was this photo of the Mauretania.
One of the stars of the White Star line, built I believe around 1938.
Nothing on the back to indicate why it was amongst my aunts photos.

Doing some family research last week I came across an old boarding list that listed my uncle and two of his sons having travelled on the Mauretania on a return trip to England in 1952. One mystery solved.

Which brings us to this weeks
 Sepia Sat. choice picture.

Also amongst my aunts photos was this photo of a gathering. And once again, nothing written on the back.
Not sure if it is England of the USA.


Well, I guess I still have my work cut out for me.






And once that one is done, I have yet to do this one.
My moms family are Yorkshire people, but I know of no one who worked at a sugar plant there.

'the Game is Afoot!"

7 comments:

  1. At first I thought the second photo was all women except for the one man standing, but now it appears that a number of men sat at the far end of the table. There goes my theory of an all-girls school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting to try to figure out who what and where...and hopefully no murder mysteries as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you good luck, also, in your endeavor to identify the two photos still pending identification. It can be frustrating seeing photos you know are of family, but no one is left to help you identify them. Sometimes there are clues in some of the pictures themselves to help, but not always. Wanting to identify those left over has spurred me to start writing names, dates, and places on the backs of my own photos so future generations won't have that problem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Mauritania snap at least framed the ship's name very nicely. But the other two are a challenge. My wife is English and I've heard stories from her and her family of the postwar rationing in Britain that went on for several years into the 50s. Sugar companies were likely very closely monitored.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on finding the boarding list for that first photo! You're right, the other two may be harder. Have you tried pasting them into Google to see if a similar one pops up? Who knows -- maybe a descendant of one of the people pictured is also seeking answers.

    ReplyDelete