Monday, October 28, 2013

Stumped

Yesterday, Sunday, I took my first autumnal trip for this year out to the cabin. Perfect weather.

Sky was clear, temp. in the upper 50's, color just starting to change.














Well, while hard at work. . . I had an artistic brain storm, if that's possible.

While walking around the woods I had an idea for an artistic photography project that I was sure would be the next trend setting art thingy.

In the course of re-building log building and then heating them with a stove you end up with lots of stumps.
Tree stumps. All made of wood. Different sizes. And over a few years, in different stages of decay.

Each one unique in pattern. Just like the human ear lob, none are alike.

So I started walking around taking pictures.
I could almost recall why each tree gave itself to something I used it for.

Some became tables for forest creatures to dine on.
Some became homes.
Some just became resting places for other decaying matter. But each one was unique.
So, here are a few I took photos of.

This first one has started to form a hole down the middle and it is getting harder to count the rings.

 This one, splitting but still intact.
 You can tell I did an uneven job of sawing this one by the two different levels of cuts.
But the green is assume.
 This one has started growing green hair, and where it is still bald, it is wearing a hat of leaves.
 This one a perfect holder for a newly fallen nut.
 A resting spot for limbs.

 All browns, no greens.
 Uneven cut, and split.
You could still count most of the rings.















While ones that fall naturally are uneven and jagged. And are usually much quicker to decay.














 Sharing space with other plants.















Of course there are other things going on also.
The color of the moss.
 And this incredible beauty growing in the hollow under a live tree.

About the size of a big dinner plate, I had never seen anything like it before.

Some sort of fungus, and I am researching the name.
It was just beautiful.

Our conservationist Ombudsman said this about it:
'It is a fungus called chicken of the woods or sometimes called sulfur shelf (Laetiporus sulphureus). It is an edible species'









 Another great day out at the cabin.
This is the view of the two cabins together, which I don't show very much.
No reason, it just doesn't happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment